Friday, September 4, 2009

Where Did My Husband Go?

3 days down, 3 much harder, tempting, difficult weekend days ahead of me.

I would like to reflect on a couple of things I have become more sensitive to since this challenge has begun.

Observation 1. My husband has disappeared. Somehow he has come up with some really good excuses not to be around for the $1.50 tues, wed or thursday night dinner. Well tonight, Friday night, he is stuck with me. To be honest, I will probably grill some lovely piece of fish or pork tenderloin for him, while I pick through my 4th serving of my lentil dish I prepared earlier in the week. While it is good, that recipe just really made enough for a family of 10 and I am the only one participating. I can't blame the hubby though, this was my challenge, not his. We can at least share my air popped popcorn watching a movie tonight.

Observation 2. I have become increasingly resourceful with my cooking. Instead of throwing away typical "un-edible" parts of my veggies, I use all of it. Beets from my garden? I throw in the beet greens. Wart-like brown spots on my broccoli stalks? I use it all anyway and saute instead of steam the broccoli so it masks its imperfections. I cut up an onion yesterday and realized half of it was bad. In the past, I would have thrown the whole thing away because it would have taken too much work to save the good parts, not yesterday. I carefully cut away every potential part of the onion I could save.

Obeservation 3. You can lose weight on this diet. I don't really think I am eating less at mealtime, but I do think the reason I have come down a pound or so is because I am not "snacking" Typically after dinner, in addition to my popcorn, I might have some small pieces of chocolate or eat a piece of fruit. Here at the office, I will supplement my afternoon snacks with some goodies down in our cafeteria. Due to the lack of funds to support these extracurrilular eating habits, I believe the discipline has resulted in an overall lower calorie intake than usual. I might be sharing these findings with my private practice weight management clients.

I don't really know how this weekend will go. I love to eat out, and I realize this is not possible even with trying to cut back on my weekday costs. We are going to a bbq at my in-laws house on Sunday. Wouldn't it would be rude not to eat their food? Isn't it legal anyway to eat their food since I am not paying for it? Sunday dinner can be the special moment of the weekend I "celebrate" labor day with good food. Somehow I wouldn't be suprised if Monday's weight doesn't pop right back up to normal. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment