Monday, September 14, 2009

The Big Picture

On the final days of the hunger challenge... I learned at the beginning of the week that with some effort, planning and sacrifice, finding food to sustain myself for the week was not as difficult as I expected. It was the little changes in lifestyle and habit that made it difficult: no coffee, no snacking, bland foods, etc.. As the week went on however, I had the advantage of attending a couple events with "free food." I have to admit that I took advantage of the opportunities, but it prompted a discussion with my (also doing the hunger challenge this week) that people on food stamps probably don't have as many opportunities for such events. Additionally, she brought up the point that if paying for food (the most basic necessity of life) is a challenge, then money for lower priorities (housing, heat/cooling, clothes, transportation, etc.) is also scarce. I began to recognize all of the other things that would also require added effort, planning and sacrifice just to sustain life, never mind contribute to society.
So, what is the "big picture?"... The hunger challenge while difficult at times was only a small piece of the larger reality that a person on food stamps must live within. I did not have the following stressors that a person on food stamps does: sense of permanancy (psychologically I knew the hunger challenge was temporary...I could see the light at the end of the tunnel); isolation (I am part of a social network where sharing of resources is common - i.e. party invites, etc.); instability (I didn't have to worry about money for clothes/laundry, gas, rent, etc.); social embarrassment; etc..
In the end, I gained a new appreciation for the hard work it takes to sustain this lifestyle and the factors that must be overcome to break free from its bonds and become a thriving, contributing member of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment