Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oatmeal, let us agree to disagree...

I did this challenge backwards. I spent the last day (yesterday) driving around to four different stores, comparing prices and bargain hunting. The trade-off is: what you save in food cost you burn in time, frustration and a bit of gasoline. But, once I started seeing the food savings adding up, I felt like I had finally achieved something. Small victories count.
This was a challenge geared toward raising general awareness in the community about the very serious hunger issues facing MILLIONS of people, but I also treated this as a way to self-educate. There are lessons I absolutely needed to learn, but the education is not over yet, and there is a lot of work still to be done.
But, what is over is the seven day hunger challenge itself, at least on paper. I can put down that hated cannister of oatmeal (I see you, quaker man, smug and smiling, WHATEVER), and expand my food horizons. I will start with a tasty pile of tator tots, that's high on my crave list.
Althought it is nice to forget about food limitations and go back to treating food as a "given", there is no forgetting or denying that millions of people are struggling to find a simple meal. Now is the time to do all we can to ease their burdens and help them thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment