Sunday, September 6, 2009

It's Not Greek to Me

I knew this would happen. The challenge hits smack dab during the Greek Fest which is a foodie's dream and is always a much anticipated tradition. I got a group text to meet at the fest, but had to decline since I didn't want to be tempted. I am again reminded how social food can be. Ever group gathering seems to always have some kind of food component. I feel like an outsider in an eating world. Food can be an expression of compassion and friendship. That is one of the reasons why Food Outreach has a lunch every Monday when clients sit a tables laden with tablecloths and are served restaurant style. It is also about the emotional support that clients can give to one another.

Have to say that the first couple of days were brutal. I was constantly thinking about food, what I wish I could eat, and how long I could stand having at least two bowls of oatmeal every day. I compare the 'sick' feeling in my stomach as what it feels like when you have butterflies. By the 4th day, the pangs lessened, maybe because my stomach was shrinking. Only a few more days. This is a true test in will power.

No comments:

Post a Comment