Friday, September 4, 2009

A CARTOON HAND DIPS INTO MY COOKIE JAR

Yesterday, one of our lovely donors, who beekeeps with her husband, gave me some honey harvested from their hive. I love honey and can’t wait to try it, but for now, during the challenge, it’s in its jar making a nice paperweight on my desk.

Last night, I made polenta for the first time. Lamely, I heated it in the microwave, topped with marinara sauce and the unmeltable soy mozzarella. It wasn’t so bad. I think I like polenta, especially when it’s prepared by a really good restaurant. Eating at a really good restaurant is always a treat for me, but I’m thinking how some of the people we assist hardly ever or even never get that experience – a good restaurant meal.

Another thought – I feel lame for taking the easy route – the microwave – what about those who don’t have a stove top to cook on, or a microwave? This is making me sad.

Everyone on the challenge at Operation Food Search is talking food. What did you eat today? Are you hungry? Did you cheat? I wonder if someone who doesn’t know where their next meal is coming from thinks about food all the time, or if they’ve trained themselves to ignore the hunger pangs?

Last night, I dreamed the hand that holds the red tomato on our logo was taking the lid off my cookie jar at home. A cartoon hand no less. Weird! I wish I could remember more of my dream. Did I eat a cookie in my sleep? No telltale crumbs in my bed this morning. Nonetheless, I truly am dreaming about food.

This morning, went to prepare a repeat of my breakfast for the week, only I had made a bigger batch of the whole grain hot cereal the other day so I would have to “cook” every morning, just pop it in the microwave. I spooned some if it in my bowl, added the black raspberries, Trek mix and dollop of sour cream. Took a bite, and then realized I forgot to put it in the microwave. What to do? The yogurt was already on top. Do I scrape it off to heat the cereal? Oh heck. Who cares? So hungry I ate it cold.

The holiday weekend is upon us – this is really going to be tough!

###

No comments:

Post a Comment