Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fruits of My Bounty

Day 1 complete...only 6 more to go. And while I believe that you can do almost anything for 7 days, this is harder than I thought. Have to say that I was a bit cocky since I did the challenge last year on less money. But I tried to be healthier with my food choices--wheat bread, not white, more beans... It took me 15 minutes to pick out my peanut butter. Have you ever read some of those labels? Rule of thumb--Never eat anything with an ingredient you don't know how to pronounce. At least the label says 'zero' trans fats, but then there's a note saying that it may have less than 2%. When is a trans fat not a trans fat. At least, I didn't blindly go for cost and get the peanut 'spread' . No telling what 'things' make it a spread.

Having such a limited budget (I still have $5 to splurge somewhere), I never agonized so much over what items to buy. The canned 'cut' green beans are 5 cents more than whole canned green beans. I had to put back the grape jelly because it was close to $1.50 and wanted to stock up my pennies for as much oatmeal as I can stomach for the week.

For the cooking-challenged out there, you will be interested to know that I bought a whole chicken to roast since it was $1.28 per pound and not $1.87 per pound for bagged frozen chicken breasts. Though you are paying for the bones, the breasts would have been all meat. I wonder if the bagged variety was the better way to go. It was one of my biggest purchases at $5.10 whereas a chicken already roasted (and seasoned) costs $5.70. But with food stamps, you can't buy hot prepared meals. My plan of attack (in a virgin kitchen) may be for naught if I end up overcooking it and it coming out like shoe leather. But my budget won't be able to take that big of a hit so I will make it work 'hook or COOK'

While it makes sense, I almost shouted out with glee when I realized that stores don't charge sales tax on 'food stamp' purchases. I know that I am not technically on food stamps, but I figure that the $29 value of food stamps should all go to food purchases. That is my new rule. So I have another couple bucks to maybe get some coffee somewhere.

My lunch on Day 1 reminded me of grade school when Friday lunches were PB & J sandwiches. Mine was sans jelly, but had a banana to 'wash it down.' I am drinking a lot of water to fill me up. Wouldn't you know that of all days, Tony Almond of Almond's Restaurant (one of my favs) dropped off some extra pasta and salads he wasn't using for a catering job. Though our clients may be offered/given 'free' food, I thought that was a slippery slope I didn't want to be on. A big thank you and shout out to Tony and Kelli from the staff--at least they didn't go hungry.

By the time I got home, I was famished to say the least. So it was 6 and I NEEDED dinner. So I guess I am officially a 'blue-haired.' I tore into the tuna fish, but had enough will power to eat only 1 of the 4 cans. Two slices of bread, glass of water. I will try to ration out the remaining items today. All evening last night, I was obsessed counting down the hours/minutes until bedtime so at least I would have a respite from the challenge and my hunger pangs for a few hours. I may have to break into the pasta soon to fill my belly.

I can only imagine what Food Outreach clients may feel when they have to think about taking their medications on time...when they undoubtedly are always thinking what and when their next meal will be. At least, they can order as many as two meals each day, but they have to portion out the food to have it last two weeks. I do wish we could give clients as much food as they probably need, but it is a numbers game. When 1,500 clients are depending on Food Outreach as the principal provider of food, you have to have limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment