Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Week over, at last. Appropriately, I spent a good part of the hunger challenge hungry. Here are a few highlights tendered by my 29 bucks:
 
Dinner on Monday: “Do people give cookies to homeless people? You bet they do.” My quotable housemate assuaged qualms about raiding a plate of homemade (aka fair-game) fudge cookies. Their sweetened condensed milk gave my mounting hunger pangs a pow-pow.
 
Lunch on Wednesday: While two of my Sauce colleagues were at Local Harvest Cafe picking up vegan chocolate chip cookies and Morganford Mediterranean salads, I ran across the street to Local Harvest Grocery in search of something filling. Apparently, my face screamed deprivation. Without asking, the dear clerk gave me a bag of Companion rolls. “Free, really?” The answer was yes.
 
Breakfast on Thursday: Who knew Campbell’s vegetable soup ($1.06) could taste so good – and in the morning, no less? 
 
Feast on Friday: Bless Wes Johnson and Brendan Noonan at Eclipse Restaurant, who hosted a free meal in honor of the full moon and who politely let me pile my plate.
 
Without receiving handouts here and there, I would never have made it through the week. And truth be told, I gave up on Saturday. My money was spent and I was hungry! 


No comments:

Post a Comment