Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bad Apple

Yesterday I had to go to Schnuck's to purchase food for my family - my son has food allergies and I wonder what someone on foodstamps would do. The rice bread I buy him is $5.00! I guess he would go with out rice bread...and goat's milk...he basically lives on fresh fruit, veggies and meat - the most expensive things since he can't have beans, eggs, nuts and the list goes on. Of course I bought my family chicken since that is what I was going to be having.

The frozen chicken from Aldi's was my best buy, $5.99 for 6 breasts. I actually ate half of the breast last night since they were huge (much bigger than the fresh ones from Schnuck's) -- ok, no jokes here;-). I labeled my leftovers and have already told my husband twice not to eat it...mine! With the chicken I had lovely white rice and peas -- ate the whole can of peas.

This morning I had two bananas -- they are turning bruised and brown quickly. Now I know why they were on sale. My bag of apples are a strange beige when I slice them and if I don't eat them immediately they turn brown before my eyes. I've never seen that happen -- I now feel like they are testing me. If I am yelling at apples by the end of this challenge you'll know why. Lunch was what the crowd seems to be having - PB&J. For a snack I had saltines with PB and lots of water. I definitely miss my snacks.

5 comments:

  1. I was kind of thinking "she better eat those fast" when I saw them at the press conference. Assuming you're not eating the apples in a hyperbaric chamber, that reaction is just bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me is reminded that you get what you pay for, though for some that is all they have available to them. Even more of an example of the haves and have nots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Susan!! Can you cook down the apples and make applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Applesauce is a great idea...I "lifted" two more sugar packets today and I could add them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beige apples are just not right. But applesauce sounds FANTASTIC. You should give that a whirl and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete