Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Morning Gratitude

I woke up this morning with much gratitude for the Hunger Challenge and for what I am fortunate to have. I actually have pretty much food left (3 or 4 chicken breasts, LOTS of oatmeal, 2 cans of veggies, pasta, rice, peanut butter, etc.). I was glad I bought the pasta sauce for both the chicken and spaghetti, and cheese and crackers were my dinner or snack on occasion. I sometimes looked at the food and was hungry, but didn't want any of it which is what I am sure what many people feel who know this life too well. I ate half a loaf of white bread which I haven't had since I was probably 10.

I thought a lot about feeding families when you have so little. My son asked several times why I wasn't eating with him when we stopped for lunch or I packed a picnic for him and I didn't have anything (mainly since I can't eat peanut butter in front of him). He was constantly trying to share his food with me and I gently turned him down. How hard that must be for a mother to worry about providing for her own children. So, to help him understand I told him to gather stuffed animals, clothing, games for us to donate to people who didn't have as much and we are going to drop it off at Good Will. We talked a lot about people who don't have things and how lucky we are and to never take it for granted.

Great experience and thankful for all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment