Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tantalizing Aromas....ahhhh

Yesterday I didn't have lunch since I was out and about and couldn't pop in somewhere to get a salad, sandwich, smoothie, morsel of food that is not in my limited stockpile for the week. I can honestly tell you that I was at a stoplight and the smell of fried chicken was so intoxicating that I stared at a KFC until the light turned green. I thought I remembered a commercial where they had a mashed potato, chicken nugget, cheese bowl thingy and I would of paid big money for one bite. Then I was in The Loop and the smell of garlic was coming out of Miss Saigon....I had never noticed any food smells driving around before. Even today at the Science Center I was watching the families eat pizza -- was so envious.

I miss having the food I want when I want. I think the hardest part is breaking habits of going out to eat and having variety -- I really want chips and salsa or something different from what I am eating. I came home today and made spaghetti noodles with tuna and peas hoping it might resemble a tuna casserole or something other than chicken. I ate a huge bowl of it and my son kept asking if I was going to eat the whole thing and I gave a resounding "yes!". I am glad other people mentioned they overlooked the bruises on food since I cut around the bruises in my banana this morning -- didn't want to waste it! I usually just throw them away and buy new ones...not any more.

I had $1.50 left and thought about getting the box of oatmeal creme sandwiches again -- I think there were eight of them in a box for $1 at Aldi's. But, my taste buds took over. I was running into Walgreen's to pick up detergent and walked by the candy aisle...everything was much more expensive, but I found a Twix bar and small bag of M&M's and bought them. Still saving the M&M's.

I think currently reading Julia Child's, "My Life in France" doesn't help with my food thoughts since it is all about cooking and her love affair with French food. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment