Sunday, September 12, 2010

Variety is the Spice of Life

When I did my grocery shopping for the Hunger Challenge, I was surprised by the amount of healthy food I could get for $28. I filled my cart with yogurt, whole wheat tortillas, veggies, frozen fruit, oats, beans, and lentils. I proudly brought my healthy bounty home and prepared for my cheap week of eating. Flash forward to Day 7. Yogurt is great, but eating it every. single. day. is getting a little old. And I don’t even want to look at another bean or lentil again. Although 28 bucks can buy you healthy food (one of the things I hoped to prove while completing this challenge), it doesn’t buy you variety. I ate oatmeal every morning with the same frozen blueberry topping. I had to rotate the leftovers from three dishes for my lunches and dinners. I’ve actually started to dread mealtime. I would shovel down the monotonous food and feel full, but never satisfied. I’m craving variety- spices, sauces, new side dishes! When you are on limited funds, variety is a difficult thing to pull off. I’m starting to regret allowing my windowsill herb plants to wither away. Variety really is the spice of life.


As the my last day of the challenge winds down, I am beginning to reflect on all the valuable lessons I’ve learned this week. Tomorrow morning I will be sipping my Kaldi’s coffee with ample gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment