Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No Frills

After 2 $4 days, I'm really missing my little extras. $28 covers the basics, but it leaves no room for the frills. Yesterday I noticed how many frilly food choices I make on auto-pilot: brewing my morning coffee, adding vanilla almond milk to my oatmeal, buying a slice of banana bread at the cafe on campus, grabbing a small handful of chocolate chips after dinner. As I enviously watched my fellow classmates tote their daily dose of Starbucks and freshly baked banana bread, I realized how oblivious I was to those that can't afford to make these mindless decisions. Food choices that are part of my daily routine are extravagant splurges for others. Eliminating the frills made me realize that they are just that: frills. Extras. Not necessities. However, even though I am getting plenty of calories, forgoing all of my between-meal indulgences has left me feeling a little underfed.


I had to laugh when I read Jen's post because I made a brown lentil soup for dinner last night and as I portioned out the mounds of leftovers into Tupperware, my appetite for lentils quickly began to fade...

1 comment: