Friday, September 23, 2011

Every Little Thing's Challenge Day 6

It’s officially Day 6 of the Hunger Challenge – can’t believe it’s almost over! If you’re looking to catch up on the other posts…
I’ve noticed a craving for sugar. I haven’t kept track but I know I’m eating less sugar. How did I notice the craving, you ask? Well, a coworker brought in donut holes this morning specifically for me and my partner at work. She literally plopped them down on my desk and told me to eat them. And do you know what I did?

I ate them.


A lot of them.


I’m normally not a donut person and I was shoving these down like my stomach was bottomless – I had this intense need for more sugar! Obviously this doesn’t excuse my cheating on the Challenge but I had to fess up and wanted to describe how I was feeling.

Otherwise, we’ve been doing well, though I notice how empty our designated shelf is getting and it makes me nervous.

On Wednesday night, we had stuffed peppers for dinner, based on my original quinoa-stuffed pepper dinner.

It was affordable and a good mix of leftover bits of food in the fridge. The only problem was that we were still hungry after! We each had a bowl of cereal and called it a night. Our peppers were small, so make yourself two peppers!



I filled our peppers with a mix of quinoa (here’s how to rinse/cook quinoa), leftover pinto beans from the chili, onion, leftover chopped poblano, and topped with pepperjack (I was going to use corn but got lazy).
 
The quinoa takes about 15-20 minutes to cook, then two small-to-medium peppers stuffed with the quinoa mixture take about 45 minutes to bake in the oven, at 400 degrees.

Top with cheese during the last five minutes and throw under the broiler for supreme meltiness!

Rice would work just as well but quinoa provides a lot of protein! You can also mix in meat if you have it – sausage works well.
I’ll have a wrap-up post on Sunday – have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment