Monday, August 31, 2009

Gearing up for the Hunger Challenge!

This morning, I woke up with a hungry tummy growling and contemplated my grocery list for the week on a budget of $29. As I gear up for the Hunger Challenge, I wonder – will this amount be enough to cover my list? Will my food intake for the week be too redundant?

I also thought of all the things I’m running low on that are not covered by food stamps – floss, antiperspirant, moisturizer, dog treats… - yes, my dog is an important part of my family, and looks forward to his daily treats when he comes in from his walk.

As I make my week’s list: oatmeal, soy milk, spinach, 2 sweet potatoes, broccoli, fresh berries (reminiscing, when at their summer’s peak, blackberries were just $1 per 6 oz. container) and other fresh fruit (shoot – just one peach can weigh a pound!), lentils, black beans, eggs, tuna, walnuts and cheese, I’m wondering if this will cost more than $29. I also wonder if I can come up with enough different dishes to make using these items. Oh, I left out yogurt – but I’m pretty particular – no yogurt with high fructose corn syrup for me – only organic, and preferably the super yummy, creamy Greek kind.

On the other side of the paper, I put my dream list: Edy’s frozen fruit bars, soy bacon, soy coffee creamer, lox, cream cheese, whole grain bagels, heirloom tomato, pineapple, strawberries…

I perused the ads of three different grocery stores today and found certain foods on sale at each, and thought I’d look up more online at work. Then I realized, it will cost me more in gas to run all over town to different stores, and made me feel empathy for those who rely on public transportation – how it’s not easy to lug bags groceries and kids around on the bus.

Actually, my brother’s family relies on public transportation, and I know how difficult it must be for them to brave the elements every time they go somewhere – I mean, not every day is as glorious as it was yesterday. I tell my nephews all the time how ecologically cool they are and how much better what they are doing is for the environment – to mentally soften some of the hardship they sometimes endure….I digress….

Thinking about my free cup of coffee at work tomorrow morning, and wondering if I can use those squeeze packets of mayo in the fridge– it wouldn’t be as if I were scamming someone else’s lunch or anything – those packets are up for grabs, aren’t they? Psyching up for tomorrow……

No comments:

Post a Comment